Friday, November 9, 2018

MORE SIGHTS OF AMSTERDAM

Bicycles, Canals, Storefronts, Windows, Flowers & Whatnot

It is impossible for me to walk down any street without seeing dozens of scenes to capture. That's one reason I love my iPhone as I always have it with me, and I can shoot pretty much on the fly. If I'm with a group, I'm always the last one so I can get the shots I want without all the people. And when it's just Doug and me, he's always a block or two ahead of me because I keep stopping for 'just one more.' 

Many people say that taking pictures spoils being in the moment and simply enjoying what you see. It's just the opposite for me. I'm more engaged with my surroundings because I'm always looking above me, behind me, down the side alley, around the corner, or more closely to find that detail I might otherwise miss. 

Here are some of my favorite scenes that include many of my favorite photo subjects. Enjoy this last walk through Amsterdam because tomorrow we leave for Africa!

BICYCLES

Light and shadow play in a row of bikes along the canal behind the Flower Market

With so many bikes, some people want theirs to stand out.

As a cyclist myself, I love seeing all the different kinds of bikes.

Note the red pavement. That is the bicycle lane. Pedestrian beware if you are walking in the red lane.

A pink Gazelle. Is this a foreshadow of Africa?

An Amsterdam trifecta--bike, canal, flowers

A bicycle camouflaged by the flowers

A bicycle carrying flowers.

A tricycle passing flowers

A bicycle with a flowered seat

And a bicycle with a flower garland

A common sight

A helmeted motorcyclist passing by

Another Amsterdam trifecta--canal, bikes and reflections 

OUTDOOR CAFES

Red is my favorite color

Triple X represents Valor, Resolution, and Mercy OR
the three threats to the city--Water, Fire and Pestilence

Have a seat outside or in?

More red catches my eye

Your table is ready and waiting

Have a seat and enjoy the view

The name “in the monkeys” gives a hint to the legend and lore behind this bruincafe. (Brown cafe) The small bar located near the harbor was also an inn in the 17th century. Back in the day, sailors coming into town could spend the night here. Low on cash, they would trade their treasures for drinks and a place to rest their heads. As many of the sailors coming from overseas apparently had pet monkeys, the owner would take these monkeys as payment. Soon the place was full of these apes and their fleas.


In ‘t Aepjen is housed in one of Amsterdam’s oldest structures, built in 1519. The classic brick buildings you see all over Amsterdam were not always there; medieval Amsterdam was filled with wooden structures. Zeedijk 1 is one of the two wooden buildings still standing in Amsterdam.
Notice the monkeys everywhere. Carved wooden monkeys, monkey sculptures, monkey posters and monkey paintings.

STOREFRONTS AND WINDOW DRESSING

I don't know if this little bike is for sale or if it belongs to one of the store's patrons.

A blast from the past or a robot of the future?

How about some cheese, please.

Bike memorabilia for the tourist

With all of the bicycles, there's bound to be a lot of bike shops.
Here's an especially colorful one.

What's not to love about this scene?

Certainly not my father's Red Wing store

Words of wisdom: You are either in your bed or in your shoes, so it pays to invest in both.

Flower shop reflections (There's more to this shot than meets the eye.)


How many monkeys can you see?

Are we in Africa, yet?

WINDOWS: FROM OUTSIDE IN

A beer tasting tavern

As seen on a houseboat

Geraniums, ironwork, reflections, Oh my!






AND WHATNOT. . .

Street artist at work

A door front still life

A classic Amsterdam scene

Even houseboat dwellers have a desire to grow things

Note the out of plumb buildings. This is typical everywhere.

Yours truly enjoying one of many pedi-cab rides.

BYE BYE AMSTERDAM; TANZANIA HERE WE COME!

Leaving Amsterdam

Flying over the north coast of Africa

No comments:

Post a Comment