Monday, November 5, 2018

WINDOWS OF AMSTERDAM

"We cannot keep thieves from looking in at our windows, but we need not give them entertainment with open doors."     
-Thomas Adam

WINDOWS: What can I say? If you’ve followed my travel photos before, you know I have a thing about windows. Especially in cities where the walking passer-by can get so close to nearly peer in the windows of the flats or houses along the streets. Not so in suburbia in the US, where if anyone were close enough to take a photo, someone would surely call the cops.

But here in Amsterdam I am able to get my voyeuristic thrill of photographing windows while imagining the people who live behind them.

Come and take a walk with me.

I’m always attracted to windowsill gardens, pretty curtains, and reflections.

A still life of light and shadow

Red geraniums still abloom stand out against this vibrant green bench.

It is a fabric curtain on the lower half with paper lace cut-outs on the top.
I also adore the old weathered bench.❤️

Attracted first by the lace curtain and reflection,
I then noticed the row of garden kitsch along the windowsill.

The late afternoon sun casts a warm light on this series of lace curtain clad windows.
Oh my! What a story this window could inspire.

This looks like a nice place to stop for a drink or something to eat.

More modern windows with just a touch of color in a window box.
No matter where people live, it seems that their inner gardener
wants to grow something.

This is a “social rental” building as our guide described it,
although nowadays, some of the flats may be owned outright.

All the old buildings have a beam and pulley at the top which is still used
to lift building materials and heavy goods into these houses.

A peek inside reveals a circular stair and laundry drying

Another trifecta-window, flowers, reflection.



No comments:

Post a Comment