Thursday, October 1, 2020

AsSeenBySusan

 Scan Results


I knew when I was told at my first visit with my radiation oncologist that my cancer was a Stage 1, that the diagnosis might change. At that point I had had only the anoscopy in August which had diagnosed the 1.5 cm sessile lesion as cancerous. And since then I had read enough to know that one test does not an accurate staging make. But I hoped.

I was also told that I'd get a PET scan that would reveal if there was more cancer in my body and inform the oncologists how best to treat it. After a week's wait, however, I was told that the PET was denied by my insurance; so instead, I was scheduled for a pelvic CT scan with contrast and a chest MRI, which purportedly would give the doctors enough information they needed to proceed with chemo and radiation treatment. Another week passed before I completed those scans. And then another day's wait until I met with my medical oncologist to review the results. I was not prepared for what he said.

My cancer is now Stage 3, is slightly bigger at 2.5-3.0 cm, and is growing down into the tissue below it. I was stunned. The tears welled in my eyes until they spilled down my cheeks as I listened to the doctor explain the treatment protocol. Again, I had a friend with me taking copious notes, so I could allow my tears to flow as I listened and asked follow-up questions. The statistics for this stage of anal cancer is 70-80% for a cure. The doctor thought that was positive; personally, I would prefer a higher percentage. 

After that it was a matter of more waiting in the days ahead for him to submit a referral for treatment to my insurance, and to order the prescription for my oral chemo meds from a mail order pharmacy since local pharmacies do not stock them. His estimate for when treatment could begin was a week or so, but in counting the days myself, I knew he really meant 7-10 days. 

More waiting. More tears.


My deepest appreciation to my friend Jackie Scholl who sat by me, taking notes and comforting me on this very trying day. 

13 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm crying too! This will be very trying for you but I believe you will prevail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, I've been thinking of you so much. I'm so sorry that you have to deal with cancer--the waiting, fear, and wondering. I send you love, support, more courage, room to cry, laugh, yell, and to eat lots of chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you in this predicament ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had not seen any earlier posts! Sending you hugs! Keep the updates coming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Damn, I’m sorry, Susan. But, knowledge is power. The doctors are getting the intel they need to eradicate those fuckin’ interlopers. Dig deep for strength, and faith and courage. It’s ok if you stumble, but we’re all here behind you, ready to help you stand back up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So very sorry about your updated news. Thank you for sharing and I will continue praying. Lots of virtual hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've got incredible strength to deal with this, and the support of so many, many friends. We're all pulling for you! g

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’m so very sorry to hear this. I’ve been thinking of you too and hoping for the very best. I hope you know how loved you are and a circle of women (and others) surround you with all the support you need. I will be home in a week or more. Please reach out Susan. It’s what you and so many others did for me when I needed it. A lunch, dinner, books, puzzles. Whatever you would like. Sending a big hug to you. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  9. As
    So sorry to hear this recent update. It will be unpleasant but you’ll beat this MF disease. Virtual vibes to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. First a great big hug from me to you. Then a thought about the staging...my son-in-law had a diagnosis of Stage 3 melanoma which the doctors said was a good thing. Turned out they were right. It meant he was eligible for new treatments that if he had been at a lower stage he would not have qualified for. I hope that you find similar silver linings that make your journey easier.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing and you are amazing. You bring so much good to everything around you. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad Jackie was there was you. ❤️ Gosh, that is really disappointing and I’m so frustrated that your insurance is not cooperating and causing unnecessary delays. We love you and are sending strength vibes. You got this!

    ReplyDelete