Sunday, October 4, 2020

AsSeenBySusan

 Happy Birthday to Me


I breathed a sigh of relief seeing this package on my doorstep when I returned from swimming Saturday morning. It contains my chemo meds which had to be ordered from a specific mail order pharmacy in Portland. This was the last piece of the puzzle to fall into place to make sure my treatment starts as scheduled on Monday. Even though my birthday isn't until November, I consider this an early birthday present.


These pills along with radiation are supposed to kill the cancer cells in my body. I will take eight pills a day, four in the morning after breakfast and four in the evening after dinner, Monday through Friday, along with radiation on those same days. This protocol will go on for six weeks or 30 treatment days. It's important to take the pills within 30 minutes of eating, which means I have to eat breakfast, which unfortunately right now is often minimal. That will have to change.

The meds also can wreak havoc on other healthy parts of my body if I'm so unfortunate to experience the common side effects. That's one thing with anal cancer treatment; no one can accurately predict who will suffer side effects and who won't. That's why the pharmacy sent me a gift assortment of remedies to treat the most common side effects. An early birthday present; how nice!


The dental package is to assure good oral hygiene during treatment. Kid's Crest and an ultra soft toothbrush is in case I get mouth sores from the chemo pills. They can be so debilitating that eating becomes difficult if not impossible. Hmmm, I can't wait! 

The Udderly Smooth hand and body cream is in case I suffer from hand and foot sores. It starts out as sensitive palms and soles of the feet and can progress to peeling, raw skin and severe pain. They even advise against holding garden tools or kitchen utensils too tightly as the pressure may aggravate the skin. No thank you!

The anti-diarrhea Loperamide tablets are for the obvious. Good nutrition in the form of a low fiber/low residue diet may stave off this side effect, but it's not guaranteed. Considering the area being radiated, over the six weeks of the treatment that area becomes tender and raw making elimination uncomfortable at best and excruciating at worst. And having had hemorrhoid surgery a year ago, I know all too well this kind of pain. Again, it's a big, fat no thank you from me!

The last set of pills are for the opposite side effect -- constipation. It seems a person can suffer from this alongside the aforementioned.  Not a comforting thought! And with the possibility of prescription pain meds needed during treatment, this side effect can be exacerbated. Keeping well-hydrated can often offset this symptom. But I've been there, done that when I broke my wrist and had surgery. Not again, please and thank you!


However, the anti-anxiety bubble wrap included as packaging is by far the best, best, best gift. I'm saving it for when I really need it . . . or until the end of treatment when I can celebrate completion and a cure. Stay tuned.




8 comments:

  1. Your comments on the hemorrhoidectomy hit home with me: went thru that in '94 and was the most pain I'd ever suffered, including when my wife gave birth to our two children (I'm very empathetic, I'll have you know!). I'm wondering if you've ever had the liquid Ensure? I drink it as part of my diet, because it contains so much that my body needs and is low-cal, to boot. As it's a liquid, it might not be as hard on your body to expel. Just a thought.

    As always, I love you humor! Stay sane and you're on the road to progress against this cancer, my friend.

    (:>)

    g

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been considering a drink like that. Some are very high in calories which I certainly don't need! I think this is even recommended if I develop mouth sores from the chemo. Thanks for your recommendation. :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy. It looks like you mastered adding a comment on the blog. YAY!

      Delete
  3. Susan, the last photo of the sidewalk chalk is so important – your grandkids will read this chronicle of your cancer journey, with you, along with your travel journals when they are older. Thank you for continuing to teach 💜.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Save the bubble wrap to sit on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha! No, to pop on days that I am feeling especially anxious OR to pop in celebration of the last day of treatment.

      Delete
  5. Your humor is powerful in the throws of cancer. Yes, your words will be a help to anyone following along in your footsteps. It takes so much courage and chutzpah to go through what you’re going through with a sense of humor. Your teacher qualities come through in your blogs and it benefits everyone. I’d like to bring you and Doug dinner or whatever else you need during this process. Just let me know what you can and can’t eat. Please reach out to your friends. We are there for you Susan. Hugs and so many good thoughts coming your way as you journey through this tough process. ❤️

    ReplyDelete